Welcome to the documentation of the TagSpaces products.
TagSpaces is an open source, cross-platform, no backend, no login, file manager, organizer and browser. It helps you organize your files, photos and other documents with tags on different platforms and/or devices, according to your own preferences and following your own logic, by using the same smart and friendly interface everywhere.
- Platform independent and future-proof tagging for files and folders
- Platform independent way for adding descriptions to files and folders
- Integrated free text and tag search (AND, OR and NOT boolean operators)
- Integrated viewers for many image, video, audio and document file formats
- Integrated editors for HTML, text and markdown files
- Support for user interface themes (e.g. dark mode)
- Supporting thumbnail preview for many file types
- TagSpaces follows a no backend and no login philosophy
- It is not a SaaS, so there is no back-end
- The application is not Internet dependent, a pure offline use is possible
- TagSpaces is not saving the meta information in a database -> no vendor locking, no lost information on database crashes or installations on a new computer
- All the needed information is extracted by the time of use from your files.
- File system as a database
- The supported tagging options makes a folder with tagged files self containing all the needed information, which useful by e.g. syncing
- No database or vendor locking
- Easy to synchronize between devices, just use TagSpaces with your Dropbox/NextCloud/Google Drive folder -Saving the tags in the filename enables you to use the search capabilities of your operating system
- Community Desktop version - the main, community developed edition of TagSpaces
- PRO Desktop version - extended solution based on the community version for advanced users
- PRO Web version - A package for self hosting on your NAS or other web infrastructure connecting object storage
- Web Clipper as Firefox addon - a web clipper allowing the saving of whole webpages, webpage fragments and screenshot as local files
- Web Clipper as Chrome extension - same as the web clipper for Firefox
- Android app - a mobile app offering most of the features from the community desktop version on Android devices
Common Use Cases
- Organizing files and folders
- Desktop search
- Note taking
- Photo management
- Bookmark management
- Simple file manager
- eBook organizer
The short introductory video below shows TagSpaces in action:
Check out the TagSpaces YouTube channel for more TagSpaces related videos.
Frontend based on:
- React / Redux / Material UI
Native APIs e.g. for file access are based accordingly:
- Desktop versions for Windows, macOS and Linux based on Electron
- Mobile versions for Android based on Cordova
Note: This documentation is in work in progress status.